Herbs make a more savory pancake and cinnamon accentuates the sweet flavors of the apple and sweet potato.Makes about twelve 2 – 3 inch latkes
- 2 medium apples
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh seasonal herbs and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon*, optional
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, optional
- Vegetable oil, to grease baking pan
- Lightly oil baking pan with vegetable oil. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wash apples and sweet potato and grate using a coarse grater. Put shreds into a colander or sieve and press down firmly to remove some of the excess moisture. Stir mixture and repeat.
- Transfer mixture to bowl and stir in egg, flour, and optional herbs and salt or cinnamon, if using. Form 2-3 inch pancakes using 2-3 tablespoons of mixture per pancake. Drop onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, then flip pancakes and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with optional plain yogurt.